The best free content management system – WordPress
There is no other content management system that is easier to use than WordPress. If you are looking for simplicity while still being able to build a beautiful website, then WordPress is for you.
WordPress.org is the best free CMS out today. You might wonder how can such an amazing CMS system be free. Well, because no company or one single individual owns WordPress.
The only issue you will have when using WordPress is you need to have your own hosting platform. Don’t worry, at the end of this article, I will tell you where you can find a free hosting platform also!
What is a content management system (CMS)
A CMS is a software that stores data such as text, documents, pictures, videos, music and will make all this data available on your website. CMS will aid in publishing, editing, and modifying your content.
Using a CMS system makes website development much more simple and quicker! You will not need to have a background in HTML to add all the content to your website.
Most CMS you will have to pay for and download. With WordPress it is free to use all you need is a hosting platform.
How is WordPress free
If WordPress is so awesome why are they not selling it as a software and making a ton of money off of it? The only issue with doing that is who would get paid. No one actually owns WordPress and there aren’t any companies that own it either.
WordPress is an open source community project where tens of thousands of people have helped to create an amazing piece of software. There is a core group of developers who started the software project, but anyone can contribute ideas to further better the project. You can even move up to become a core developer on WordPress yourself. Everyone involved will help with patches, report bugs, features, and so on. The community of WordPress created a software that will truly benefit everyone.
No matter what your goal online is there is not a better free CMS available today. Where else can you find thousands of people working on one piece of software to keep it beneficial for everyone?
What’s so good about WordPress
Using a CMS such as WordPress is going to help you create content for your website at a much quicker rate. Your website design, modification, and publishing will be incredibly easy. If you are looking to build a business online, you will need a CMS.
- User Mangement – Allow user management such as changing the role. (subscriber, author, contributor, administrator) Create passwords and user information. The main role is to authenticate user
- Media Mangement – Tool for all the media files and folders on your website. (upload, organize, and manage)
- Theme System – Modify the view and functionality of your website. While still including imagines, stylesheets, templates, and custom pages.
- Extend with plugins – Thousands of plugins to meet all the needs of the user and their website.
- Search Engine Optimization – Includes many tools for your website to use SEO. Easy to use for an on-site SEO campaign.
- Multilingual – Translate the entire content into the language the user prefers.
- Importers – You can import data in the form of posts. (custom pages, posts, files, comments, and tags)
You will have all these features on WordPress with a dashboard on the left side of the page for the convenience of navigating through your website CMS system.
Advantages of WordPress
- Open source platform and free for everyone to use.
- CSS files can be modified to the specific way a user wants or needs.
- Thousands of plugins and templates for users to choose from. Also, each can be modified to the specific needs of each user.
- Very easy to edit all the content from text, pictures, videos, and any other documents placed on your website.
- Adding media is very simple and quick.
- Customization is easy and can be done the way each user prefers.
- Serval SEO tools in WordPress to further extend your reach in search engines.
Disadvantages of WordPress
- Too many plugins will make your website slow and hard for visitors to use.
- Software updates are needed to keep your website up to par. If you do not download a backup file of all your content you will lose content on updates.
- Modifying graphics to fit as you desire can be a challenge at first.
- PHP knowledge will be needed to modify your website in WordPress.
- Will need your own hosting platform.
Where you can find a hosting platform for free
WordPress is not a software you can download. Since you cannot download WordPress, you will need to find a site to host in order to build your website. Most places online will require you to pay monthly. At Wealthy Affiliate, you can join for FREE as a starter.
Of course, there is a premium membership which will have a lot more benefits. But, if you only need a website to host, Wealthy Affiliate will let you stay a starter member for as long as you wish.
You will receive two free websites from siterubix.com or you can host websites on domains that you already own.
There is also website security and website backup courtesy of SiteSupport on Wealthy Affiliate.
Another major benefit is the keyword search tool that is offered through Wealthy Affiliate.
I recommend you read my review about Wealthy Affiliate if you are a new to building websites.
Or if you are ready to join you can click the link below and create an account!